Hi, I'm Teddy Brown, a software developer based in Kingston,
Ontario, Canada. I'm also a daddy, Linux geek at work, and Mac fanboy
My current appointment is at the NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Queen's University in Kingston.
My primary role is developing web based applications both administrative and
related to conduct of cancer clinical trials.
In addition I fill a junior system administator role at NCIC CTG
providing backup support for both the Systems Administrator and
PC/LAN Specialist. I am the primary responsible for maintaining
web stacks (Apache, MySQL, Oracle, PHP) on both Red Hat Enterprise Linux
and Solaris 11 environments.
For detailed information on my skill set and experience please see below. If
you're interested in finding out more or getting in touch with me
drop me an email
Get In Touch
- Object oriented PHP 5
- Application development using Symfony framework
(1.4 & 2.4)
- Relational databases Oracle, MySQL, SQLite
- Version control with Git
- Advanced CSS techniques. Experience with
Bootstrap CSS and LESS.
- Experience using RESTful web services and SOAP.
- Data transfer with XML and JSON encoding
- Development of Oracle PL/SQL triggers, packages,
- Some experience using C++ and Java
- Education of mainframe COBOL, JCL, CICS
- Set up of Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS and Debian servers.
- Maintenance and configuration of Oracle Solaris 11 servers.
- Set up Apache web server with PHP and MySQL databases.
- Creation of batch shell scripts using Bash for system maintenance tasks.
- NFS and Samba file sharing servers.
- Linux LVM management & snapshots.
- Linux KVM (with libvirt) for bare metal virtualization.
- Installation of various third party systems such as MediaWiki, Redmine, and Gitlab.
- Use of Amazon's AWS (EC2 & S3)
- Microsoft Office 2003-2013: Word, Excel,
Powerpoint, and Visio.
- Document collaboration using Google Docs
- Documentation using MediaWiki software
- Development environments Netbeans PHP and Eclipse PDT.
- Creation of data entry screens using Oracle Forms
and reports using Oracle Reports version 6i.
- Equally comfortable working in Windows 7, Mac OS X, and Linux environments.
- Project management and issue tracking with Redmine
Work Experience & Education
- Applications Developer — NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Queen's
Transitioned into position from previous with emphasis on
leadership of development on new projects.
Initiate development of new systems and new efficient work
- Programmer/Support Specialist — NCIC Clinical Trials Group,
Queen's University 2007-2010
- Develop new web based systems and rebuild legacy systems
- Maintain legacy and build new Oracle Forms and Reports
- Provide workload support to team members
- Work Placement Student — NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Queen's
- Build Oracle Forms and Reports
- Development of web based reporting
- St. Lawrence College, Kingston, ON
- Computer Programmer Analyst Diploma with Distinction received
- Trenton High School, Trenton, ON
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma received June 2003