Hi, I'm Teddy Brown, a software developer based in Kingston,
Ontario, Canada. I'm also a daddy, Linux geek at work, and Mac fanboy
My current appointment is at the NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Queen's University in Kingston.
My primary role is developing web based applications both administrative and
related to conduct of cancer clinical trials.
In addition I fill a junior system administator role at NCIC CTG
providing backup support for both the Systems Administrator and
PC/LAN Specialist. I am the primary responsible for maintaining
web stacks (Apache, MySQL, Oracle, PHP) on both Red Hat Enterprise Linux
and Solaris 11 environments.
For detailed information on my skill set and experience please see below. If
you're interested in finding out more or getting in touch with me
drop me an email
Get In Touch
- Object oriented PHP 5
- Application development using Symfony framework
(1.4 & 2.4)
- Relational databases Oracle, MySQL, SQLite
- Version control with Git
- Advanced CSS techniques, including custom responsive design. Experience with
Bootstrap CSS and LESS.
- Use Bootstrap 2 & 3 for responsive, mobile-first applications.
- Experience using RESTful web services and SOAP.
- Data transfer with XML and JSON encoding
- Development of advanced Oracle PL/SQL triggers, packages, procedures.
- Some experience using C++ and Java
- Education of mainframe COBOL, JCL, CICS
- Set up of Red Hat Enterprise Linux/CentOS and Debian servers.
- Maintenance and configuration of Oracle Solaris 11.
- Set up Apache web server with PHP and MySQL databases.
- Creation of batch shell scripts using Bash for system maintenance tasks.
- NFS and Samba file sharing servers.
- Linux LVM management & snapshots.
- Creation and maintenance of ZFS filesystems using Solaris and FreeBSD. Use of snapshots, datasets, zvols, and ZFS replication.
- Use Duplicity for secure, remote system backups.
- Experience with a wide range of virtualization technologies: Linux KVM, Xen, VMware. Some experience using Solaris Zones and FreeBSD jails.
- Installation of various third party systems such as MediaWiki, Redmine, and Gitlab.
- Use of Amazon's AWS (EC2 & S3)
- Microsoft Office 2003-2013: Word, Excel,
Powerpoint, and Visio.
- Document collaboration using Google Docs
- Documentation using MediaWiki software
- Development environments Netbeans PHP and Eclipse PDT.
- Creation of data entry screens using Oracle Forms
and reports using Oracle Reports version 6i.
- Equally comfortable working in Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux environments.
- Project management and issue tracking with Redmine
Work Experience & Education
- Applications Developer — NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Queen's
Member of Systems team, primarily responsible for web based
systems. Responsibilities include support for Enterprise Linux
servers and VMware hosts.
Initiate or participate in development of most new applications and
new efficient work flows.
- Programmer/Support Specialist — NCIC Clinical Trials Group,
Queen's University 2007-2010
- Develop new web based systems and rebuild legacy systems
- Maintain legacy and build new Oracle Forms and Reports
- Provide workload support to team members
- Work Placement Student — NCIC Clinical Trials Group, Queen's
- Build Oracle Forms and Reports
- Development of web based reporting
- St. Lawrence College, Kingston, ON
- Computer Programmer Analyst Diploma with Distinction received
- Trenton High School, Trenton, ON
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma received June 2003